Can you choose your baby’s gender? With PGD technology, Yes, you can! Baby Sex selection (baby gender selection) CPGD, preimplantation genetic diagnosis has become the method of choice to influence the gender of a baby. Basic Biology of Gender Determination; the sex of a baby is determined at the moment of conception by the chromosomes present in the egg and sperm. Human beings have two “sex” chromosomes: The “X” and “Y” chromosomes. Female eggs contain only X chromosomes but male sperm contains either an X chromosome or a Y chromosome. An embryo is female if an X-bearing sperm fertilizes the egg resulting in an “XX” embryo. A male will result if a Y-bearing sperm fertilizes the egg resulting in an XY embryo. PGD for gender selection PGD (Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis) can be used to detect which embryos are XX or XY. The desired embryos can be placed into the female’s uterus to achieve pregnancy. PGD is the only method for gender selection that is close to 100% accurate. Other methods for gender selection attempt to separate the X and Y-bearing sperm. To date, none of these techniques has achieved a success rate greater than 75-80%. IVF with PGD is the most successful and accurate way to perform gender selection. Its only limitation is the fertility potential of the couple attempting pregnancy.
PGD Baby Gender Selection Procedure: PGD (pre-implantation genetic diagnosis) is a laboratory technique to analyze the chromosomes of embryos and to look for genetic diseases. This profound technique has allowed physicians to compare healthy embryos and embryos with genetic disorders before the woman gets pregnant. So if a pregnancy will happen, the embryo will definitely be healthy and no miscarriage will be necessary. Some conditions are cached via standard PGD are the following: Chromosome X: Duchene muscular dystrophy, Fragile X Syndrome, and Turner’s syndrome Chromosome Y: Acute myeloid leukemia Chromosome 13: Wilson Disease, breast cancer, ovarian cancer Chromosome 18: Pancreatic cancer, Niemann-Pick Disease Chromosome 21: Down’s syndrome There are other conditions such as the sickle cell in which materials need to be prepared before the start of the process. The preparation may take time and prices for different conditions may vary greatly compared to the standard PGD procedure described above. There are countless other conditions that can be cached via the PGD procedure. Some of these conditions are gender specific. When such a situation is present, then sex selection can be done between given embryos in order to separate them as healthy or unhealthy. Selection of the sex can also be done under the family-balancing concept. The laws in North Cyprus allow this procedure. Couples who have at least 1 child can apply to the center to request the sex selection procedure for their new child. Parents with no children cannot apply the center for sex selection requests.
More about PGD
- Introduced 16 years ago, PGD has now been performed in at least 10.000 cycles, with the majority applied for the selection and transfer of exploited embryos in assisted reproduction.
- PGD allows the avoidance of birth of children with inherited diseases without risk of pregnancy termination. Examples are:
- PGD improves implantation and pregnancy rates in poor prognosis IVF treatment.
- PGD reduced over four-fold spontaneous abortion in carriers of chromosomal translocations.
- PGD application is currently expanding to testing for late-onset disorders and producing HLA-matched offspring, as potential donors for siblings requiring HLA-identical stem cell transplantation
- PGD provides access to human embryonic stem cell lines with normal and abnormal genotypes, allowing research on the primary disease mechanisms, to develop treatment regiments for genetic disorders, which are unavailable at present.
What are the most important points of PGD for gender selection?
PGD is performed as part of an In-Vitro-Fertilization – IVF cycle. In order to successfully achieve pregnancy with IVF, there are several important factors:
- A woman must take and respond to fertility medications in order to retrieve multiple eggs and therefore create multiple embryos
- The embryos that are created must grow and develop normally
- The embryos that are created must not have any chromosome abnormalities
- Older women are less likely to get pregnant with IVF even if their fertility is normal
Do you need to choose your baby’s gender? Contact us now!